Helmholtz Gemeinschaft


Allergic multimorbidity of asthma, rhinitis, and eczema over 20 years in the German birth cohort MAS

PDF (Original Article) - Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader

Item Type:Article
Title:Allergic multimorbidity of asthma, rhinitis, and eczema over 20 years in the German birth cohort MAS
Creators Name:Gough, H. and Grabenhenrich, L. and Reich, A. and Eckers, N. and Nitsche, O. and Schramm, D. and Beschorner, J. and Hoffmann, U. and Schuster, A. and Bauer, C.P. and Forster, J. and Zepp, F. and Lee, Y.A. and Bergmann, R.L. and Bergmann, K.E. and Wahn, U. and Lau, S. and Keil, T.
Abstract:Background: The occurrence of allergic multimorbidity (coexistence of asthma, allergic rhinitis and eczema) has not been evaluated longitudinally from early childhood up to adulthood in a population-based study sample. We aimed to determine the prevalence of allergic multimorbidity up to age 20 stratified by parental allergies and sex/gender using extensive prospective follow-up data from two decades of a birth cohort study. Methods: In 1990, we recruited 1314 healthy newborns from 6 maternity wards across Germany for the population-based MAS birth cohort study. The sample was purposely risk-enriched by increasing the proportion of children at high allergy-risk (i.e. at least 2 allergic family members among parents and siblings) from 19% in the source population to 38% in the final sample. The remaining 62% of all MAS children had a low or no allergy risk. Symptoms, medication and doctor's diagnoses of allergic diseases have been assessed using standardised questionnaires including validated ISAAC questions in 19 follow-up assessments up to age 20. Allergic multimorbidity at each time point was defined as the coexistence of at least 2 of the following diseases in one participant: asthma, allergic rhinitis, eczema. Results: Response at age 20 was 72% (n=942) of all recruited participants. At age 20, 18.5% (95%-CI 15.0-22.5%) of all participants with allergic parents had 2 or 3 concurrent allergies as compared to only 6.3% (95%-CI 4.3-9.0%) of those with non-allergic parents. At this age, allergic multimorbidity was similar in females and males (12.7% (95%-CI 9.7-16.2%) vs. 11.6% (95%-CI 8.9-14.8%)); whereas single allergic diseases were more common in women than men (24.2% (95%-CI 20.2-28.5%) vs. 20.1% (95%-CI 16.6-24.0%)). Asthma occurred more frequently with coexisting allergic rhinitis and/or eczema than as a single entity from pre-puberty to adulthood. Conclusion: Having parents with allergies is not only a strong predictor to develop any allergy but it strongly increases the risk of developing allergic multimorbidity. In males and females alike, co-existing allergies were increasingly common throughout adolescence up to adulthood. Particularly asthma occurred in both sexes more frequently with co-existing allergies than as a single entity.
Keywords:Allergic Diseases, Allergic Comorbidities, Allergic Multimorbidity, Allergic Rrhinitis, Asthma, Birth Cohort Study, Eczema, MAS, Prevalence, Wheezing
Source:Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
Publisher:Blackwell Publishing
Page Range:431-437
Date:August 2015
Additional Information:Copyright © 2015 The Authors. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Official Publication:https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.12410
PubMed:View item in PubMed

Repository Staff Only: item control page


Downloads per month over past year

Open Access
MDC Library